For the first time in my life I actually made a dress using PROPER measurements and I am very pleased with the results!
To start with I made a test-drive of this dress using some cheap material that I bought in a charity shop in two shades of purple.
However this mock-up highlighted certain problems:
- The pattern is a little large for me in the bust and small in the hips (or I am)
- The curves on the front are very hard to sew without little puckers appearing at the joins
So, in my second version I actually cut the fabric allowing for the difference in measurements and then sewed the front and back together with a tacking stitch and tried it on, then slightly altered before sewing it together properly - the result was MUCH more wearable.
In the second version I also added the optional pockets, but decided rather than plain to opt for one side in the plain and one in the patterned fabric, which gave a pleasing effect of contrast pocket flaps. I also added a covered button to the front - et voila!